Monday, August 24, 2009

Up up and away!

Tragedy struck (in a 3 year olds eyes) on August 23rd. If you look back one post, you will see Franny with her balloons. They were so beautiful, and the girls really enjoyed playing with them. Thank goodness I got the pictures of Franny with her balloons...

I was outside talking with the neighbors while the 3 kids (my girls and Mya) were out playing. Rob made a comment about how it would be cool to attach our names and see how far the balloons went flying.

As we're having this conversation, little attention is being paid to Mya and Nece. The girls it seems were having a little too much fun with the balloons. They decided to pull the cement weight out and 'see what would happen'. We didn't know this was happening until we looked over and watched as the girls had just let the balloons go.

We were kind of confused as to why the weight wasn't holding them down, and thought for sure they were coming back. WRONG. It seems the weight was laying on the driveway and up, up and away the balloons went. The balloons made it above all the trees, and the last we saw they were heading north. Too bad we didn't get our names attached to the balloons to see how far they really made it.

All the while, Mya thought it was pretty cool to watch the balloons fly overhead. Nece thought it was kind of cool until she put two and two together. She realized the balloons were NOT coming back down and absolute hysterics ensued. She wanted us to get those balloons... she was livid, she wanted those balloons back. The hysterics went on for a good hour... she was MAD. We tried telling her that we'd get more for a special occasion, it was our way of saying hello to great-grandma in heaven, that it was what it was and everything we could think of. To no avail. At one point, I seriously thought I was going to have to take her to the grocery store to get more balloons.

After a couple hours she calmed down enough over the balloons to tell me 'mom... the balloons flew really high and I was really mad.' Being the good mom I am (I know, I'm tooting my own horn), I used this as a 'teaching moment'. Teaching moment that balloons can fly away and that it is okay to experience the emotions of sadness and being mad.

A week later... the balloons are still brought up on a daily basis. If I had to venture to guess, this little incident is not one that will be forgotten soon, and she'll never take the weights out again to she what will happen.

Until the next birthday rolls around, we're balloon free at the M household!

No comments:

Post a Comment