Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Whats Appropriate?

Here are two conversations that have happened over the last week and I truly don't believe this blog post is going to do it justice... but I will try.  Gosh, my kid doesn't forget a thing.

While watching Dancing with the Stars, Kate Gosselin comes on and out of the blue Nece says, "mom, I hate her." (mind you, I really don't care for Kate, and it was the week that she had that freaky red outfit on for those of you that watch DWTS).

Nece, hate is a really strong word.  We don't hate things, that can hurt people's hearts and feelings, and we can't make a judgement about somebody we don't know.

Deep in thought, processing what I've said.  End of conversation.

This past Sunday morning Nece and I ran to Aldi around 9AM.  As we were going in, there was a lady coming out that was completely disheveled...had on old, ripped pajama pants, an oversized sweatshirt and a crazy 80's pony tail off the side of her head.  She CLEARLY looked as though she crawled out of bed, went directly to her vehicle and into Aldi.

Mom.  I do NOT like that lady's outfit AT ALL. (in that very loud, embarrassing voice that everybody in the parking lot can hear, where mom wants to crawl into a corner.)

Nece, you shouldn't say stuff like that, it's rude and can hurt people's feelings.

But MOM, member (not remember, but member) you told me that I cannot hate something as it hurts people's feelings.  I didn't say hate, I said I don't like her outfit at all.

I seriously stood there staring at my child, with my mouth wide open wondering how in the heck you explain this concept to a 3 1/2 year old.

It may not seem like a big deal to you, but I was mortified, but at the same time could barely contain my laughter, as this kid was SPOT ON.  This woman looked ridiculous!

No comments:

Post a Comment